Angry Professor? Do you agree with his actions?

Proverbs 14:17: A quick-tempered man acts foolishly, and a man of evil devices is hated.

Ephesians 4:31: Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be out away from you, along with all malice.

From the New American Standard Bible (1984)

Yes, a man of evil devices was perhaps hated in this clip;).

This clip is available in many places on the net. I did not see anything posted to definitively show that the incident was theatrics, so perhaps it was actually non-fictional. For the sake of discussion, assuming the event was non-fictional, I disagree with how the professor acted, as it was very unprofessional and he lacked composure. As well he should have to pay for a new phone if needed and, in my view the professor should be criticized by the head of the academic institution.

I can see the humourous and satirical side of this clip as it could represent a backlash against our technological culture where many people spend so much time on the phone, internet, video games and in front of the TV that face to face human dialogue is often neglected. I realize that it can be irritating trying to have a discussion with someone who keeps yakking away on their phone. However, even if the professor and academic institution had warned students to have cell phones turned off while in class previously the professor simply could have stood in front of the student on the phone and asked him to turn the phone off in a loud and firm voice.

I admit that I have a healthy, but controlled temper, but once my PhD is completed and by God's will I become a professor, I will definitely not want my anger demonstrated in an uncontrolled violent manner. We are all angry at times and think this should be respectfully shared with God, but I think that it is dangerous to unleash it on others in public as it creates relationship difficulties and other potential problems. Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment